News

Amanda Bynes pleads no contest in 2012 drunken driving case

Amanda Bynes pleads no contest in 2012 drunken driving case

DRUNKEN DRIVING CHARGE: Amanda Bynes after a 2013 court hearing. Photo: Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Former teen star Amanda Bynes on Monday pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor driving offense in Los Angeles stemming from a 2012 accident in which she struck a sheriff’s patrol car.

The lawyer for Bynes, 27, entered the plea to the charge of reckless driving with an alcohol component, Los Angeles County District Attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison said.

Bynes, who starred in her own Nickelodeon sketch comedy TV series “The Amanda Show” at age 13, was sentenced by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward Moreton to three years’ probation and three months of alcohol education programs.

The actress was arrested in the early house of April 6, 2012, in West Hollywood after her BMW car swiped the side of a patrol car. She was charged with DUI after refusing to take a sobriety test.

Since the accident, Bynes has appeared at court hearings in wigs and has been known to send bizarre tweets, including asking U.S. President Barack Obama to fire the officers who arrested her.

Last year she was placed in psychiatric care for starting a small fire in front of a home in the Los Angeles suburb of Thousand Oaks. Her mother was put in charge of the financial and legal affairs of the actress.

Bynes, who did not appear in court on Monday, is currently on probation for driving on a suspended license.

(Reporting by Eric Kelsey; Editing by Mary Milliken and Mohammad Zargham)

Recent Headlines

10 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Oregon Trail,’ ‘Sonic’ join World Video Game Hall of Fame

videogamehall2016AP

Last year, "Super Mario Bros." and "Pong" were among the first inductees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The class of 2016 is just as strong.

13 hours ago in Entertainment

Seth MacFarlane returning to Fox with new sci-fi series

sethmacfarlane536713938826

The "Family Guy" star is producing a new series set 300 years in the future.

16 hours ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.

16 hours ago in Entertainment

Channing Tatum bringing ‘Magic Mike’ to Sin City

20-overlay-3

The actor, who starred and produced in both the 2012 film and its 2015 sequel "Magic Mike XXL" made the announcement in a Facebook Live video on Wednesday, revealing "Magic Mike Live" will be coming to the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in March, 2017.