Southern Maine Events Calendar
February 10th to February 16th
Have an upcoming event? Let everyone know about it with the Local Events Calendar!
Email Mackenzie Gregory at email@example.com with a brief description.
Wednesday, February 10th
Hound of the Baskervilles
- 7:30 at the Mainstage Theatre. Runs through February 21st.
- A cheeky spoof of the popular Sherlock Holmes tale by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Visit http://www.portlandstage.org/events/hound-of-the-baskervilles for more information
Canine Cocktail & Dog Kissing Contest
- 5pm @ Planet Dog Company Store on Marginal Way
- Planet Dog’s Annual Valentine’s Day Canine Cocktail Party will be fun for dog lovers and their canine companions. The annual Planet Dog Foundation (PDF) fundraising event features a popular dog kissing contest and plenty of free treats, beer and wine. The longest, sloppiest Buddy-to-Human Companion kiss wins a gift basket valued at over $75.
- Call 207-347-8606 for details
Jazzy Art Time with Duke Ellington
- 2:45pm at the Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine
- Music is our muse as we celebrate one of the greatest jazz singers, Duke Ellington. Listen to the swing and sway of the tunes and let it inspire your art creation! Free with admission.
- Visit http://www.kitetails.org/calendar-of-events for more information
Thursday, February 11th
The Importance of Nonsense: A Primer for Adults and Children
- 7:00pm at the Gulf of Maine Research Institute (350 Commercial Street)
- Join the Gulf of Maine Research Institute for the second lecture of its Winter/Spring 2016 Joan M. Kelly Sea State Lecture Series, “Ocean Authors.” We’re highlighting authors who have a connection to our oceans. Our genre-hopping adventure continues with children’s author and Peaks Island resident Scott Nash. Join us in February to hear his talk, “The Importance of Nonsense: A Primer for Adults and Children.”
- Visit http://www.gmri.org/events/calendar/importance-nonsense-primer-adults-and-children for more information
Love in the Longfellow House
- 6pm at the Henry Wadsworth-Longfellow House
- Bring your special someone to a love-themed tour of the Wadsworth-Longfellow House in celebration of Valentine’s Day. Come hear about 19th-century courtship rituals and the family’s many romances, heartbreaks, marriages, and more…including Henry’s honeymoon! Prior to the tour, enjoy locally-made chocolates by Haven’s Candies, a glass of champagne or sparkling cider, and leave with a reproduction print of a vintage valentine from our collection, and roses from Harmon’s & Barton’s.
- For more information visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/love-in-the-longfellow-house-tickets-20969278677
Free Wine and Cheese Tasting Features Wines for Valentine’s Day
- 4:30 – 6:30pm at the Maine Beer and Beverage Co.
- Join us for a free wine and cheese tasting featuring Wines for Valentine’s Day with Laura from Crush Distributors — February 11th from 4:30pm to 6:30pm. Looking for that perfect wine to share with your honey? We will be showcasing great wines to pair with dinner or dessert. Single? Find a wine that fits your solo spirit! Also Visit the “Cheese Lady” Kris Horton on February 11th for two free Fondue demonstrations and tastings. The first demonstration/tasting will begin at 5pm, the second at 5:45. In addition, all fondue cheeses will be 10% off from 4:30-6:30. At K. Horton Specialty Foods in the Public Market House! And bread from Big Sky Bakery.
- Visit http://www.mainebeerandbeverage.com/ for more information
Friday, February 12th
Great Maine Outdoor Weekend
- All day from February 12th – 14th at more than 100 locations throughout the state.
- Most events are no or low-cost! Enjoy hiking, skiing, skating, ice fishing, sledding, winter carnivals, even a Valentine’s Contra Dance on Friday night!
- See more at: http://www.greatmaineoutdoorweekend.org/event
Main Stage Production: You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown
- 4pm at the Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine
- Join the Peanuts Gang as they take over the Dress-Up Theatre! From optimism to utter despair, join this gang of friends in a lighthearted musical that has captivated young audiences since 1967.
- Visit http://cmtmcharliebrown.brownpapertickets.com for more information
Cupid’s Night Circus: A Valentine’s Cabaret
- 7pm at Circus Maine (4 Thompsons Point)
- A special Valentines cabaret running from February 12th through the 14th featuring both local and international acts.
- Visit http://circusmaine.org for more information
- 1:30pm at the Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine
- Join us to imagine a world filled with these fascinating beasts as we delve into our dinosaur fossil replicas, dig for dinosaur bones and create make-believe dinosaur fossils. We’ll also have a chance to touch a real dinosaur fossil from the Museum & Theatre’s collection! Free with admission.
- Visit http://www.kitetails.org/calendar-of-events for more information
Saturday, February 13th
PSO Pops Portland In Love
- 7:30pm at the Merrill Auditorium
- Feel the love this Valentine’s Day weekend with a concert of the most romantic symphonic and pop hits played by your Portland Symphony Orchestra.
- Visit http://tickets.porttix.com/public/show.asp for more information.
Open School Vacation Week @ Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad
- The museum will be open for train rides Saturday, February 13th – Sunday, February 21st, 2016 from 9:30am-4:00pm with train rides on the hour from 10:00am-3:00pm
- We’re excited to share that Monson Steam Locomotive #3 will be running for the duration of the week. To add to the fun, complimentary hot chocolate and cookies will be served to passengers all week.
- Visit http://www.visitportland.com/open-school-vacation-week-portland-me-ev10321.aspx for more information.
Tophat Miniature Stage Productions: ROMEO & JULIET
- 7:30pm at the Mayo Street Arts
- Join David Worobec, a classically trained opera singer, as he puts on a one-man toy theater performance of the tragic love story of Shakespeare’s famous pair of star-crossed lovers, Romeo & Juliet.
- Visit http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2478415 for more information
Sock Monkey Saturday
- 11:00am at Mayo Street Arts
- This event is FREE and open to the public ages 7 and up. No experience necessary. All you need to bring is a pair of sharp scissors and a pair of clean socks Make your own sock monkey or one for someone special!
- Visit http://mayostreetarts.org/event/sock-monkey-saturday/ for more information
26th Annual Maine Home & Remodeling Show
- 10:00am at the Cross Insurance Arena
- More than 180 exhibitors are scheduled for the annual Maine Home & Remodeling Show. This year’s show features an Artisan Marketplace; the 12th annual Meet the Chefs cooking series with Portland area chefs; and a Seminar Series with topics on a variety of home improvement projects. Show times are Saturday, 10 a.m.–6 p.m., and Sunday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Visit http://maine.newenglandexpos.com for more information
Sunday, February 14th
- 10am – 5pm at the Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day, Museum & Theatre style! Make heart-shaped pancakes, construct anatomical heart art, make a love-bug craft and listen to your own heartbeat!
- Visit http://www.kitetails.org/exhibits-and-programs/special-events-and-performances for more information
Science ‘n’ Slopes: Day @ Sunday River Ski & Free Ticket to PSC
- Bus leaves PSC at 8am on February 14th
- Join Portland Science Center for a fun day on the slopes at Sunday River. The cost of the ticket includes a lift-pass, transportation to and from Sunday River & FREE Entry to see our two newest exhibits – SPACE: A Journey to Our Future & The Robot Zoo.
- Visit http://portlandsciencecenter.ticketmob.com/event.cfm?cart&id=135883 for more information
Masterworks on Paper from the PMA
- Runs thru June 5th at the Portland Museum of Art
- This exhibition will draw on the PMA’s extensive collection of works on paper, displaying a robust sample of our masterworks that, because of their medium and light sensitivity, cannot be on view frequently. This will be a unique opportunity for visitors to see many of our iconic works, including Edward Hopper’s Pemaquid Light and Edgar Degas’ Dancing Lesson.
- Visit http://www.portlandmuseum.org/exhibitions/masterworks-paper for more information
Monday, February 15th
Winter West Festival
- 8:30am at the Sunset Ridge Golf Course
- Celebrate Winter in Westbrook with Sled Dog Competitions, entertainment, activities, food & drink specials, and great family fun!
- Visit http://ww.facebook.com/WinterWestFestival for Complete Details
Tuesday, February 16th
Celebrating Portland: Our Story through Architecture
- 6:00 pm at the Portland Public Library
- Greater Portland Landmarks presents “The Entrepreneurs” at the Portland Public Library (Rines Auditorium). Lincoln Paine discusses how the architecture of Portland’s nineteenth-century residential, commercial, and political buildings reflects their entrepreneurial builders’ personal aspirations and civic commitment.
- Visit http://portlandlandmarks.org/events-tours/20152016lectureseries for more information